Thursday, June 5, 2008

On Projects and Moving

Okay, so we moved from Virginia Beach, VA, to Tucson, AZ. I already said that. We were living in a townhouse, and moved into an apartment here. We were in the apartment for about a year, but then moved into a house. We're renting it, and have been here for about eight months. It's a very nice place with a big yard, a pool, four bedrooms, three baths, a game room, GRASS... It's nice and it's big and it's expensive, but it's not ours.

So, we're moving. The landlord hasn't been here to check up on things since December, and I've tried raising him on the phone. No luck. There's no lease, which is his fault, especially since he's going through his brother's property management company. I called him and left a message, telling him we're moving, but still no response. However, the management company just called, so I'll be talking with them later today.

Where are we moving to? A VERY nice house that's rent to own. What are we giving up? A pool, a bathroom, and a game room- things we can definitely live without. Oh, and grass, which will help keep the damned water bill down. So, this house has four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a pretty big yard that's gravel (not going to get grass. i live in the desert!!), a two car garage, air conditioning... It's in a housing development, about three years old, on a cul de sac. It's actually the last house on the cul de sac, and we only have one house to the left of us. Lots of privacy. We love it.

Another thing that we love about the house is that it's cheaper! I mean, damn. A little bit less house for a LOT less money. Come on! How often does that happen?

What does the extra money mean to the family? A LOT. We're also getting my three youngest children soon, which means the child support that's coming out of my check will stop, which increases the amount of money in the house. We'll be able to pay all the bills and groceries, and have a LOT left over.

Part of that money is going to be going for two projects that I have artists working on. One is a superhero story, and the other is a religious story. Well, I can't even say religious. It's about reality, really, and those that have control over it.

I found both artists on Digital Webbing, THE place on the internet to go when it comes to looking for collaborators, and anything else dealing with comics, really. The guy working on the superhero story I found just lurking around. He's damned good. Already have the thumbnails for the five pages I commissioned from him. Once he's done, I have a friend of mine named Larime working on letters and a logo. I also have a colorist onboard, and he knows an inker. So, I have most of a team put together for the submission to Image. If they don't bite, there's Premiere Publishing, who's doing Fallen Justice. We'll see what they say. I'd rather have Image, but you take what you can.

For the second story, I came across the artist in a strange way. Well, not necessarily strange, but not the usual way. I have a very particular look in my mind when it comes to a colorist for the book, and I found one who's perfect on DW. So I approached her, and she's willing to do it. Well, as I was talking to her, another guy came up and said he'd be interested in doing the pencils. I had been watching the guy's work, but didn't really think of him for the art. Well, he showed me some other work that he's doing, and I made my choice instantly. It also helps that the artist and colorist have been wanting to collaborate for a while. This series will be taken to Archaia Studios Press to see what they think. I'm thinking they'll bite. It's perfect in story and look for them, as is IDW, which I hadn't thought of initially, and have to thank Ryan for. Well, to be totally honest, Boom! Studios would be a nice home for it, too. I dunno. We'll see what happens.

I also have some submissions in to Lee Nordling, leader of The Pack, a comics packaging company. I sent him three stories: The Show, Annie O.N.E., and Madhouse. It's been three weeks since I sent off two of those three, going on a month, and I'll bug him about it later. For these submissions, I don't need an artist. All I need is a good story that has mass appeal, because The Pack's focus is the bookstore market. The stories I sent have mass appeal, methinks, and like I said, it's going on a month. I take that as a good sign. Of course, the first set I sent over he passed on, Keys being one of them, but I understood the reasons for that. We'll see what happens. He said it's a process, and it takes time, and I'm a believer.

If I'm able to sell the stories, then I've sold the stories, and will be paid. I'm looking forward to that. The money would definitely be helpful- clean up some debt, or put it back into the comics I'll be submitting elsewhere. Either way, money is always welcome, especially when it comes from hard work doing something that you love.

On the editing front, I'm still working with Larime on Hollow, as well as working with a new writer on a graphic novel. He's making the conversion of the graphic novel from a screenplay he wrote, and we have a lot of work ahead of us. However, he's coming along just fine. He's not afraid of the work, and is a fast study. I'm enjoying working with him.

I'm also waiting to hear from Cary about a proposal I sent him. It has to do with my superhero project, and if we can find terms agreeable to both, we may have some exciting things going on.

Lots of irons in the fire, just waiting to be struck. I'm very excited to see how it all comes out.

Okay, I'm done. Time to continue mocking Pimpzilla (I'll tell you about that tomorrow), and read the screenplay. I'll also be watching my e-mail. I'm waiting for artwork to start coming in. :) Until tomorrow, be good out there.

-Steven

No comments: