Wednesday, June 4, 2008

History of My World- Pt 1

For some of you (all three of you out there!), I need no introduction. For the rest, though, pull up a chair, and I'll tell you a little bit about myself.

Okay, so I'm Steve Forbes. No, not the rich white guy that owns Forbes magazine, but just a guy bound and determined to make it in the world of comics. Currently, I'm 34, and between my wife and I, we have ten kids. Yes, ten. Our oldest is 33, and our youngest just turned 8. You figure it out. ;)

I've been a lot of things in my thirty-four years: a Marine, a security guard, a secretary, a maintenance controller, a video game playtester, I've worked for UPS, and have done auto insurance claims for one of the more popular insurance companies. You've seen the commercials and know a catch-phrase. Oh, and I've also done customer service for a large cell phone company. They'll never get my money, though. I've seen how they work.

Originally from Long Island, NY, I'm now in Tucson, AZ by way of Virginia Beach, VA. I'm currently working for my local city government as a 911 emergency dispatcher. I LOVE this job, and find it personally fulfilling. Sometimes it's about saving lives, others it's just helping with an emergency. I've been there for just under a year, and my probation isn't up until Christmas, but that's a great present, don't you think?

The best part about the job is that there's a lot of down time. Not everyone is having an emergency all the time, especially at night. So, I get to do what my calling really is, which is writing comic books.

This past year hasn't seen a lot of movement from me on the comics front. A lot of that was due to the move from Virginia to here, but now that we're a lot more settled, I've started gearing up again. I'll share more about that later.

I used to be editor in chief of a small indie company called Paper Dragonz. Through them, I started getting my name out there as a writer and editor. It was owned by Susan and Cary Kelley, but when they split up, the company went the way of the dodo. I guess that's fine. We weren't doing as well as I would have liked, anyway. It could have been turned around, but comics is a HARD, EXPENSIVE business.

However, through them, I've gotten some work done. The first issue of my five issue mini called Bullet Time was through them, and although it's languishing right now, it will make a comeback. I've also co-written Fallen Justice with Cary, the first issue of which should be coming out this month from Premiere Publishing. You can find it here.

There are some exciting things on the horizon, and I can't wait to tell you all about it, but it'll have to wait until the history lesson is over.

I think that's about it, really. I'll talk about grandkids and my personal projects tomorrow. Right now, I have some stuff to finish editing, as well as writing to do, tennis to watch, and boxes to pack. Tomorrow. Tomorrow.

Until then, be safe.

-Steven

No comments: