Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wanted.... Eh.

Finally saw Wanted at the cheap theaters here. There's a theater that runs a dollar special on Tuesdays. Lenora and I went and spent the two bucks at a decent theater and saw a pretty decent movie. She called "bullshit" on a lot of it, and I did too, but it was still enjoyable. I would have been kinda upset if I paid full price for it, though. It wasn't that good, outrageous special effects and all.

I guess I was just looking for more story than I got, with some better reasoning. I liked the special effects, though, and in an effort to support the creators, I'll be buying the movie. Yeah, I know, I know, but still. I'll be buying it just the same. I did like the stunts, even if it wasn't that respectful of the source material.

Well, I can't say that it wasn't respectful. It's hard to do when you've written a story about the end of superheroes, turning them into myths only remembered in comics. I guess they did the best they could with the story they had to work from, and incorporated as they could of the comic into the script. I can live with it.

I'm also making friends! Well, comic contacts, I should say. The script I looked over for that new writer? He asked me to look at something else for him, too, with an eye at turning it into a script. So far it seems like a decent story. I'll read a decent portion of it today, and put a bigger dent in it tonight at work. I think it would be a good idea, depending on what happens in it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the editor on the stories I submitted. I'm patient about it- well, as patient as I have to be. I have other things to occupy my time, thankfully. There are people who are asking me to look over scripts, plus my own stories I need to get started on. And then there's the anthology idea that someone may be starting up, and a "rock band" I'm thinking about doing.

For a while, I was a poster over at One Nexus Studios. Call it six months. During those six months, I made a lot of notes on a lot of scripts, and the owners of the studio liked what I had to say. They agreed with me 95% of the time, so they said. They just thought that I was sometimes too harsh with my critiques. They were going to offer me a position with the company as an editor, but somehow never really got around to it.

They were also going to be publishing a lot of stories. I had offers for a few of mine, such as Keys and The Were, but they wanted me to find my own artists and such. Eh, I didn't mind that. I could have found artists I was willing to work with. I was waiting on pesky things such as contracts for the stories I submitted, a contract to be an editor, and moderator status of the writer's section, as well as a place to put a column I wanted to write to help new writers. Yeah. None of that turned out the way they wanted. They took a long time to get back to creators, and some of them they didn't get back to at all. When I approached them about it, I was told that their time was better spent going over the projects they knew they were going to move forward with than sending a five-minute e-mail to creators that still needed to come up to snuff. And when I approached them about their slowness in getting me anything resembling what they had promised, calling them on their slowness, I was summarily told to take my toys and go. (Yes, I was confrontational when I called them on their slowness, and they may have been right to decline to work with me, but still...things didn't get any better.)

Anyway, the site is pretty dead. My post in the writer's forum was the last one in that section, and that was in January. There are some sections that haven't been updated with a post in over a year. However, I had a few supporters, and one of the guys there contacted me via AIM a few times. We probably thought of each other as something of a prick- I know he wasn't too fond of the way I presented my thoughts on scripts sometimes, and I wasn't too fond of the way he approached me on certain things.

Well, it turns out he wants to create an anthology, and was looking for ideas of a theme. I came up with one, and he seemed to like it. He also wants me to edit it. So, there's that.

And the rock band idea? The idea is from Warren Ellis, and the basic premise is to get three artists with one writer to do three serialized stories, splitting the proceeds equally. It's basically a one-writer anthology, and it seems pretty decent to do. I just need to get a few things out of the way first. Lots of things are just over the horizon, and the good news is that they're a LOT closer than they used to be.

I also heard from Bruno. He's willing to do a cover for Loxley, and also found an inker. Fast, kinda cheap, and has a name. We'll see about getting it into Image yet. I just have to get to that horizon.

I also have to start cleaning up the scripts for Nation. I have some things ready for Will, but I'm also getting others slowly- like characters generated through City of Heroes. It's really a time consuming process, and there are a lot of things that just can't be done with it. That's where imagination comes in.

That's really about it. I need to make some phone calls, swap out some movies, wash another load of laundry, and do other various and sundry before going to bed. I have to be to work at 3 a.m. tomorrow, and that's always fun. I'm looking forward to when I get to bid for my shift, simply because it'll be something that I picked, and it'll be something that I'll be on for four months. As long as it's at night, I have no real qualms.

Go watch The Thin Man. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Dan Rafter said...

Hi, Steven:

It was funny to see you mention One Nexus Studios. You actually critiqued one of my scripts I posted there, Paper Piano, which you no doubt don't remember. Gave me some good advice, though.

One Nexus was certainly an odd beast. I was fairly excited about it at first. But then I could tell -- you always can with these companies -- that it wasn't going to lead to anything. Comics companies actually publish comics, not just talk about it, and One Nexus was all talk.

Anyway, just wanted to drop you a line. I'm a novice comics writer myself -- I have a series being published right now through Bluewater Productions (a four-issue mini-series) and three others from them in the works, in addition to a few comics slated to appear in some anthologies --and I've greatly enjoyed your posts at One Nexus and at Digital Webbing.

Keep up the inspiring work!

Dan
http://indycomics.today.com

Steven Forbes said...

Thanks, Dan! I appreciate it.

And btw, I DO remember Paper Piano.

Happy to hear you have something coming out through Bluewater!

Come check out my column at Project Fanboy. Hopefully, you'll find something of use there.

-Steven