Monday, August 25, 2008

Shaping Up

Things seem to be coming together all around, thankfully. It's a trend that I want to see continue.

My plan to get things back on track is reaching a head. I have to fly to NY in a couple of weeks in order to finish that off, but I'm expecting good things to come out of it. That will be the biggest obstacle to my small plan of living happily ever after.

I don't ask for much, do I?

Oh, and I have December flowing through my veins! That's how one of the fellows at Digital Webbing described me. I LOVE it! It's going to be my signature there. Why did he say it? Because I'm a little hard on scripts. Only a little. It's not as if people come away bleeding or anything. Maybe frostbitten, but not bleeding.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Remember the conversation I had with that editor a few weeks ago? Well, I've sent him a couple of book ideas, and he's really taken with them. I'm still reworking them so that they'll be good enough to sell, and its more waiting once that happens, but I'll have an in, you know? So that's going VERY well. I couldn't be happier with the progress made.

Also, my column is seeing regular hits. I'm happy about that. If I'm also able to get some discussion started there, that'd be great, too, but I knew what I was getting into when I decided to do it. I knew it was a small site and that traffic would be a bit slow. However, the traffic that I do get to the site is steady, so there's at least that to consider.

I also have to write some more articles for it. I'm weeks ahead, but it's easy to get behind, you know? So, I know what I'll be doing tonight. Working on the pitches and writing articles. (Only so I can get even busier later.)

Last night was pretty decent, actually. I asked one of the guys at DW to send me a script of his so I could edit it, and that's what I spent my time doing last night. It took me longer than I wished because work got in the way (as well as conversation, but I knew I was going to have conversation as soon as I saw who my partner was), but I think it turned out pretty well. The script itself was extremely good, especially for a first time comic writer (when I say extremely good, I mean the guy did his homework when it comes to EVERYTHING in writing a comic script). My job, really, was as proofreader and doing some lite editing. Yes, it was that good.

Well, he loved it. Absolutely. He already has a company on the hook for it (that was a happy accident), but is thinking about going another way. If he goes the other way, he's going to ask me to edit the book. If he goes with the company that wants it now, they already have their own editor, which is understandable. But he absolutely loved the edits, because they were helpful. There was one scene that he was worrying over for days, and he says I fixed it for him perfectly.

Nah, I don't think I'm that smart. This isn't me getting a big head. I have December running through my veins, remember? That should stop the swelling. I'm honestly just happy to help. I'll get there on my own soon enough. I have a goal to be extremely busy, remember? That goal is coming along nicely.

I can't think of much else that's been going on. I'm sure there's more, like Robert Kirkman's Kontroversy- saying that creators should do creator-owned work, and Marvel/DC should direct their wares more towards children. A bit pie in the sky, but there is truth to what he says. Personally, though, I'm with Steven Grant's point of view with this one- do both. There's enough space for it, and if you can do both, then do both.

I'll just not be leaving my full-time job in order to do it. Health insurance is nice, y'know?

Okay, I'm done. Waiting for the mailman to come, and then it's back to sleep for me. I have work tonight, and Lenora and I are going to the movies tomorrow. (Cheap theater, $1 per movie. Can't beat that!) I'll also be putting up the next installment of Bolts & Nuts when I get home from work. It'll be good.

Go listen to the Krush Groove soundtrack. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: