Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fingers In Different Pies...

I hang out at Digital Webbing a lot. A LOT. As a writer, I feel it's something that I have to do. I get a lot of different things out of it: some camaraderie with fellow writers, as well as the ability to look for artists; the ability to help newer writers with their work; and just be part of a pretty decent online community. It's fun and educational.

Because of that online community, I was able to ask some questions for an interview of Erik Larsen. I asked three questions, but the interviewer only used two of them. Hey, I'm cool with that. I got my questions answered sufficiently, one of which I already knew I wasn't going to get much of an answer for. However, the asking of those questions translated into the ability to write a weekly column at Project Fanboy, and I have to say that so far it's going pretty nicely. I've only posted two of them, an introduction that gives who I am and a general layout of what I want to accomplish, and a second one that's really the first post, talking about story and fitting it inside of a comic format. Next week I'll be talking about plotting, and the week after that will be characters. I've got a plan, and will be writing far into the future whenever possible. I want to have about a good six weeks of columns ahead of me at any one time, and I'm in the process right now of building that up.

I've also gotten some feedback on a couple of pitches I sent out. The editor wanted to see two pages of story for a romance OGN that I want to do, plus a revised pitch for one on car insurance. I sent both of those on Monday and am now just waiting to hear back from him. I was pretty surprised when I heard back from him within a relatively short time on the first set- it was about a week, if not two, when he got back to me. Usually he takes about a month. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, he wants me to watch a movie. To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday. It was something of a minor problem, but it's been overcome. I love movies, but neither Lenora nor I are movie renters. We'd rather watch it on cable, and if we like it enough, we want to own it so we can watch it whenever we want. I'm an admitted sci-fi/horror buff, especially the old ones in b/w and early color; being male, I also like action and comedy. While I'm not big on drama, I'll get in a mood every so often lately. (Getting older and tastes are changing.) Lenora likes offbeat movies- Crazy In Alabama, Real Women Have Curves, stuff like that. Suffice it to say that while I've heard of To Gillian, I've never seen it. Neither has Lenora. That's about to change in a few days. We got a friend to get it from Netflix, and then I'll be able to watch it, make some notes, and give it back. It'll be good.

I also heard some news about a comic company, but I have to keep it under wraps for now. I just hope that everything works out well with the deal. Once it's announced, it'll be a done deal. Just looking for that announcement.

I just checked out a story and ran across the most absurd thing that makes absolute sense, as well as touches on a story I want to write. I hate being beaten to the punch, but I have to also figure out where I want my story to go, as well as how I want to write it. Ah, well...

I just finished reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and it was a GREAT book. Makes me want to write another story, actually. A political thriller with a Merovingian as the protagonist. It also led to an arguement with Lenora.

I read the book, and had the kernel for a story. I usually take those kernels and talk with her about them. So I took it to her, first trying to explain where I was coming from, and she wanted to argue the merits of the book. That's fine. I can deal with that. Give me a chance to explain where I'm coming from, and then tell me what you think.

Nope. That seemed to be too hard. She didn't want to be quiet long enough to listen to what I had to say.

Now, I'm openly pagan. Lenora calls herself pagan, but doesn't really know what she is, from a religious standpoint. She was in a family of Jehovah's Witnesses for a while, and still filters a lot of things through those eyes. She also has remnant's of her grandmother's views, basically that religion is someone's "paramount personal opinion." And she's not incorrect. Her grandmother was quite possibly pagan, and her mother has some psychic powers also. Anyway, Lenora even said she went as far as to watch a program about the book, and didn't like the fact that they "made stuff up." I don't know anything about the program. I didn't watch it. However, the book has not only footnotes, but a bibliography of their references, a lot of which are in French, which I can't read. She didn't want to listen to it. Every time I started to try to explain, she would talk over me, because she was already "right."

So I decided not to talk to her about my work anymore. Pretty sad state, don't you think? It reminds me somewhat of April, my first wife. She wanted everything to be about her, and my mind was always on a story I wanted to work on, and we argued about it, and I stopped talking to her about it, too. What's the point if someone doesn't want to hear it?

Oh, she wants to change her tune now, saying she'll listen and keep her mouth shut, but to my mind, it's kinda late for that. All I wanted was her opinion on the story. I guess it wasn't t be.

Still waiting on some paperwork from the NY court system. Once that gets settled, LOTS of things will be easier around here. I'm hoping it'll be within the next couple of days. I'd like to have this done by the end of the month, truthfully. The sooner the better.

And I finally got an address on Boom! Studios! I'll be sending them over a couple of pitches, along with a script or four. We'll see how that goes. As a matter of fact, I need to make sure those scripts are scrubbed clean before I send them. I also need to write a cover letter, as well as decide what I want to send, besides Keys. And then there's scripts to finish, as well as some to write...

When I was sending pitches to the editor, he turned a lot of them down, but wants to see some others. I have a better idea now on where to go with some of those others, and will rework those accordingly, but I also don't want those pitches I wrote just languish. So I'll start sending those out and see who nibbles. I could be very busy very quickly, not to mention if the editor wants to buy the two pitches I just sent.

Let's say I got everything I wanted: three graphic novels and three limited series. One of the limited series is already written, it would just need to be edited, so that's five. Four of them would need to be plotted and written, and since I know where I want to go with them, that's the relative easy part. The big one would be the one on car insurance. A lot of research still to be done on that one, and it would need to be outlined before I could even think about plotting, let alone a page count.

That would mean I'd be a VERY busy guy for a while. I'd have six books to get ready, a column to write, blogging, plus my day job. That's not even counting possibly becoming part of the One Hundred and Four. My day job gives me a lot of stability, not to mention health insurance, and that's not something I'd want to give up if I didn't have to. Yes, Lenora has health insurance at her job, but she can retire in a few years. She probably won't want to, but she'd have that option. I'd rather not make it harder than necessary. Freelance work is difficult to get, and while it wouldn't take me as long if I worked from home and wrote all day long, it's still something I'm reluctant to do.

Between the two of us, Lenora and I have ten kids and ten grandkids. That's a lot of mouths to feed, a lot of birthdays, and Christmas- let's not even talk about Christmas. I'd rather just work when I had to and write every day (I wouldn't need to go in for as much overtime as I do if I were getting an advance and royalty checks) rather than give up the stability the City gives my family. Not to mention my probation is nearly up, and I'll really have the job at that time.

So it's really not wishful thinking. It could happen. I just have to make it happen.

I guess that means it's time for me to get to work, so that's what I'm going to do. Go get some Digital Underground cd's. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: