Friday, July 11, 2008

Not Dead Yet!

I've had a headache for the past few days. Nothing major, but I haven't really felt like doing too much. Lenora says it's a stress headache, and while I'm inclined to believe her, I really try not to stress too much. Really.

Comics-wise, things are on hold for a while. I'm broke, so I'm in no position to get an inker for the pages I have, nor get the rest of the art team paid for. I have another project that I'd like to do as well, but without the money to pay the artist, that's on hold, too. The good thing is that he'll wait to get paid before starting. He doesn't mind being in a holding pattern, and I'm VERY happy about that.

I'm still waiting to hear back on some pitches I sent in. The guy there usually takes about a month, so I have another couple of weeks to go. That's okay. Gives me time to work up some other pitches for him. That's a nut I'm going to crack. I have an idea for a private detective story that I want to send him, as well as a few others that I'll work on tonight when I go to work. The detective story is kicking my ass, though. I have to find a way to succinctly say what I want to do, and still make it interesting. It's something to work on. I'll get it done.

I've also decided to work on a werewolf story, but something that's not been done a billion times, you know? Most of the werewolf stories you see are the same thing: guy gets bitten, and now wants to get rid of the curse. He just has to find the one that bit him, or go all the way to the start of the strain, and kill them. Some variation of the "wanting to get rid of the curse" is as old as The Wolf Man, and frankly, I'm tired of it. I've had this idea for a couple of weeks now, even before I read Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. I forgot that I knew some things about werewolves, and could have sworn I had a werewolf book in my personal library, but I was wrong. So, I have to get some books on it. Yes, I know, the web is right there, but I can also get a lot of reading done at work, and since I don't have the money to pay for an aircard as yet, buying books and taking them with me will have to do.

There's also a writer I'm working with to take a screenplay he wrote and turn it into a graphic novel. I gave him a few tasks to write some other scripts before tackling the conversion, so that it's more of a natural thing for him, and he did pretty well. The conversion itself, though, may be a bit harder. We both are going to break it down, and see where each issue lies before comparing notes. I'm trying to get him to think critically, as well as think as a comic book writer. It's a bit different than thinking as a screenwriter. It'll be good for him.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Cary about the proposition I made him. He's been silent so far- maybe he doesn't like it. No skin off my nose if he doesn't. As always, we'll see what happens.

Tennis. -sigh- Federer lost Wimbledon to Nadal. That blew me away.

Wait. Let me set the stage a little bit.

I don't have tv here. Remember being broke? Well, the money for the internet is really all we have right now. So I haven't been able to get my tennis on. It's a little worse here in Tucson, because the Cox cable here doesn't carry the Tennis Channel. The house I moved from had Comcast, and they carried it, as did the Cox in Virginia Beach, but not here in Tucson. At the other house, was still too broke to get the sports package, but was able to catch about half the tennis on ESPN2. But like I said, since we moved, no cable except for the internet.

So, as I was checking my hotmail account, I saw that Nadal beat Federer. I wasn't happy. Lenora loves Nadal, and I'm a Roger fan. She gives Roger props for being extremely talented, but doesn't like him. It went five sets, though, and while I'm not happy about the outcome, it was a better showing than Roger's French Open showing. Next is the U.S. Open. We'll see what happens there. At least it was an all Williams final on the women's side. The sisters need to become a force to be reckoned with in women's tennis again. With Justine Henin out of the picture, all they really have to do now is beat the Serbs and Maria. Not too tough, right? Yes, there is some sarcasm in there.

Oh, and I finally found a Suncoast Video here, and they had Clue! I've been wanting this movie on dvd for a while, and Lenora let me have it. Wonderful woman, my wife. We also saw some other things we want, and will get when we're not so broke: The Tick vs Season Two, Dark Shadows (have to finish that collection), 24, as well as some random movies. I couldn't tell you what, though. She was looking through the movies, while I was looking at the collections. But now I have Clue, and I'm going to watch it again before taking a nap. Well, that and other movies. And breakfast. Can't forget breakfast. My stomach won't let me. At least my headache seems to be gone. I took the ibuprofin about twelve hours ago, and haven't had a twinge since. That's great news for me. My co-workers were a little worried. I wasn't my usual perky self.

And it's monsoon season here. Finally, we get rain and cloudy days. It's been raining off and on here all night. I just looked out my office window into my "low maintenance" backyard, and noticed a LOT of weeds coming up. I guess I have my work cut out for me either later today or tomorrow morning. When we buy it, I don't know what we're going to do with the backyard, but we'll think of something. Probably a pool area, and some plants. I dunno. Just thoughts.

Okay, I'm done. Food, movies, and sleep, in that order.

Be safe.

-Steven

No comments: