Monday, September 15, 2008

Crossing Hurdles!

There's been a flurry of activity lately with Yours Truly, and I have to say, being busy has its perks.

I've been writing columns for Project Fanboy, and so far, I haven't had any backlash from it.  Actually, everyone who's said something to me about it has been really positive, and I'm very thankful for that.  For a while, it felt like I was writing in a void, but over at Digital Webbing, people say they've been checking it out and that it's been really helpful.  That's great, really, because I'd hate to think I was giving out bad advice.  And for those of you who are wondering, yes, I try to write them ahead of time.  Right now, I have about five weeks worth, and I'll probably write a couple more tomorrow- right after I post up the one for this week.

A couple of weeks ago, I volunteered to look at a script for a friend as an editor, and gave him the full treatment.  He liked it a LOT.  So much so that if the title gets the home that he wants for it, he wants me to edit it.  Yes, there's a deeper story here, but I'll go into it once there's something more concrete, one way or the other.  Basically, we'll see what happens.

However, because of him, I was able to get some more work as an editor.  I looked over a fellow DW poster's script as a hired consultant, and he enjoyed what I did so much that he showed it to someone else- who promptly sent me an e-mail asking if I'd look over their script, and how much I'd charge.  There were also another couple of posters there who asked me to look over some scripts for them, as well.  See?  Busy.

If this keeps up, and I hope it does, it might be time to start thinking about a website.  I'd want it to be able to pay for itself, of course, so it's a little way down the road.  If my other good news continues on the road it's going on, then I'll have to see what a site will cost me.

That other good news?  Well, I recently heard back from the editor I've been working with on a couple of my pitches.  He's going to send one of them on to his partners!  That's great news, and it means that I could be extremely busy in the near future.  The other pitch still needs some work, and I'm going over it, doing my best to make it as strong as possible.  

I'll tell you something: pitchwriting is an art, and I'm extremely green with it.  I don't see the work as a chore- I see it as learning a new skill and honing it.  I do feel I get better at it with every pass.  He already told me it was going to be a long process, and he was right.  I'm not discouraged, though.  I look forward to it.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from Hannibal Tabu about the 104.  I have a few more days before I contact him.  Again, we'll see what happens.

As for my job, I'm going to be able to bid for my shift here in a few days.  I'm looking forward to having a shift that's stable, instead of changing from month to month.  It won't start until January, but it'll start.  That's really what's important.  A stable night shift will allow me to write while at work, and that time is going to be used to the best of my ability.

You see, I told a friend of mine that I'd also start work on a novel- and yes, I have a novel idea to go with it.  Luckily, I don't have much in the way of plotting to go, since I've already plotted it out as a comic.  Lenora is happy I'm turning the idea into a novel, though.  She wishes I wrote more of my ideas as novels.  So, I have a novel to write, along with my weekly column, and hopefully, a graphic novel or two, plus editing work, and possibly weekly work for the 104.

Yeah.  I know, be careful of what you wish for.  I'll just have to be strict with my time.  

And that's about it for me.  Go listen to some Slick Rick.  You can thank me later.  

-Steven

No comments: